Experience Yorkshire’s wicked history on this spellbindingly unique walking tour, led by a bewitching guide!
Are you ready to learn some historical facts? Are you ready to be thoroughly entertained?! Join your characterful witch guide and hear the true historical tales of suspected Yorkshire witches across the ages. Delve into fascinating pieces of York's history along the way too; hear secrets of St Crux Church, York Minster, Petergate, Swinegate and so very much more await on this character led walking tour.
Your friendly costumed guide will enchant you on this exciting escapade, seamlessly weaving history with vibrant storytelling. Did these real Yorkshire witches deserve their fates? Cross York’s cobbles and uncover the truth about the likes of Mad Alice – was she driven to insanity? What about John Wrightson, was he really a "Wrong-son"? Mary Bateman; wise woman or murderer? And did Margaret Clitheroe really deserve her fate…? You make your own mind up on this magical educational journey to the past.
Be transported through the twists and turns of York's gates (streets!) and snickelways. You will shuffle down Shambles, hop through King's Square, amble along “Bookbinders Alley” and saunter down Stonegate. The breathtakingly iconic York Minster cannot be missed, and your faithful guide will happily point out a pub where a very famous plotter lived. You’ll learn of hauntings, meet a certain little red devil and discover a building hidden away for decades…
In an experience that brings together true stories, history, and a wisdom that we can learn from our terrible ways of the past, you are sure to be enthralled by this enchanting city and Yorkshire’s rich witchy chronicles.
Don’t miss the chance to join York’s wonderful Witches & History Walking Tour and see things as you never have before…
*Please note this is an outdoor walking tour so dress for the weather, my dears.
· 1hr 10mins (70 mins)
· Professional character guide
Not suitable for:
· Children under 5
· Certain mobility impairments
· Enjoy captivating and entertaining storytelling through a knowledgeable, friendly character guide.
· Learn the true history of Yorkshire’s accused witches and unbelievable ways of the past.
· Explore the gates (a street in York!) and snickelways of York’s old town.
· Marvel at York’s famous landmarks and fascinating history along the way.
Good to know:
· The tour runs whatever the weather so please dress accordingly.
· Please arrive 5 - 10 minutes early to check-in. “No shows” will not be refunded.
· Due to operational reasons the tour must start on time, if you are running late, please contact us asap at firstname.lastname@example.org or on +44(0)330 043 6292.
· The route is step-free, but the streets can be uneven and cobbled in parts. Please contact us ahead of a tour if you have any mobility impairments.
To check available tour times please visit www.witchestour.com/york
- Suitable for ages 5+
- Well behaved dogs welcome
- Tour runs whatever the weather
- 24 hour cancellation policy